Wednesday, January 9, 2013

I had an . . . interesting day

I was picked up by my host sister, Anna, last night and taken to her home on Königsbergerstraße in the south-western part of Berlin. She and her father live on the second floor of a house above a zahnarzt or dentist. I have a nice spacious room to myself, as well as a large double bed where I promptly fell asleep last night after writing my blog post. I was awake for 28 hours straight, so, appropriately, I slept for 15 without stirring.

Mein Zimmer
Anna is a 25-year-old law student at Freie Universität. Her father is retired but getting a degree in mythology and philosophy at the university as well. They are both very nice, and Anna has been very helpful with my ridiculous incompetence. I have been speaking mostly German with them, except for certain things I really have trouble understanding. Nils, the student assistant at FU-BEST, told me I was lucky because most host families want to practice their English.

Both Anna and her father work so I was left alone most of the day.

And what a day it was . . .

The first reason for panic came when I realized I had left the blue bag I had received upon arrival back at the FU-BEST building. That bag had my itinerary and my transportation card, so I had to buy a bus day pass to leave the house and get to Brentanostraße where I was supposed to meet the group for an optional tour. Since I had to get my bag anyway, I decided to go.

First I will begin by saying that I am awful at public transportation. I have never taken a bus by myself.

I knew I had to get to Dahlem-Dorf. So, naturally, I got on the wrong bus and ended up at the opposite end of Berlin. Oddly enough, I wasn't even scared. I just sat calmly, got off the bus because the line ended, and found another bus that said "Dahlem" on it. It is not the same as "Dahlem-Dorf" but it was something I recognized in a city where I knew three place names. I asked an elderly lady in German how to get to "Dahlem-Dorf". Luckily she knew where that was, and, when I clearly wasn't understanding her directions in German, she rode the bus with me until I got to where I had to go. She was the answer to my desperate prayers. That the first person I asked would be willing to help a lost and scared girl who did not understand the language very well was totally a Godsend. She was very sweet and told me all about her children on the bus while I nodded and pretended to understand everything she said. I got the gist of what she was saying, but not everything. I praise God for that woman, though, whoever she was.

I finally found Dahlem-Dorf and incredibly ran into my group on tour. I was already 15 minutes late and they just happened to arrive at Dahlem-Dorf at the exact moment I did. So I joined the group and Nils, the student assistant who is a graduate student at FU, led us on a tour of campus. During the tour I got to know a bunch of different people in my program. Something has been making me ridiculously friendly these past two days, which I guess is good because I get to know people. One thing that has surprised me is that 75% of the students in my program have taken 2 or fewer years of German. Some don't know any German at all. I heard one guy asking another what the word for "water" was. I honestly don't know how they do it because I would probably have died on my little excursion earlier if I didn't know how to speak and read a bit of German.

When the tour ended, Nils took us to the Thielplatz station where most of the group left. I still need to go to the FU-BEST building to get my bag so I was going to go with Nils. Abby, who is in a wheelchair, needed to go to the next station because there was no wheelchair access at this certain station, so Nils and I took Abby to the station she needed. Then Nils showed me how to use the U-bahn and get to the FU-BEST building, correcting my German the entire way. It turned out the building was closed, so I still couldn't get my bag with my transportation pass.

I made my way back to the u-bahn, naturally got on the wrong direction, realized this two stations down, got off and then got back on the other side, and finally reached where I had to go. Got on the bus, got off two stops early, and had to wait for the next bus.

Finally, I made it home and explained everything to my host sister who I'm pretty sure thinks I'm an idiot. But, I guess I learned a lot. And now I know how to get to my school . . .

2 comments:

  1. Rachel this is actually the way most people learn. Bravo for you! Remember the lost and somewhat in shock girl I led to Telegraph Road (a one hour drive!)? God says we reap what we sow and I have had faith all these years that some day some nice lady would help one of my children when they are lost. Thank you Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness what an adventure! I, too, am awful at public transportation, but it's definitely true that after about two or three trips it becomes MUCH easier and you'll feel like a real Berliner! I'm glad you made it to safety :)

    ReplyDelete