Saturday, January 19, 2013

I forgot I would have to do homework here too

With the hype of orientation over, everything is beginning to settle down into more of a routine. My life in Berlin does not seem nearly as strange as it did at first. I am now a very confident user of the transportation system, with a few bumps here and there. Yesterday, the bus was so crowded that Alicia and I simply did not make it out the doors before they closed and the bus moved on to the next stop. But things like that happen.

We started classes on Monday. I have German class Monday-Thursday from 9AM-noon. I am enrolled in the Intermediate 2 class, which is a little easy vocabulary and listening comprehension-wise, but because I am so bad at grammar, it is exactly where I need to be. I am also enrolled in a contemporary European film course which meets on Mondays from 4:30-9 (it's 2 hours longer than usual because we have to watch a movie after class. Tragic) and a Berlin: History, Literature, Memory course that meets Tuesdays from 1:30-4. I'm excited for both of them.

I took an intensive Modern Germany course first semester of my sophomore year at Grove City, so my knowledge of German history is much greater than the average American student. During the first class of Berlin: History, Literature, Memory, my teacher gave us a brief outline of German history beginning in 1871 with the unification of Germany. She would write a date on the board and ask the class if we knew what had happened in German history in that year. I tried to let other people in my class answer, but when no one would, the teacher would look expectantly at me and I would give the answer. . . again.

It has been very cold this week, but I doubt it is any colder than Michigan and Pennsylvania usually are. I notice the cold much more here because I walk everywhere to catch the buses and bahns.

The Lankwitz S-bahn station. This is part of my daily route to school.
On Monday, a bank was robbed about a mile from my house in Hollywood style. The robbers dug an 100 meter tunnel beneath the bank and robbed over 90 safety deposit boxes. While it stinks for the people whose stuff was stolen, there's something to be said for that suave of a crime.

I was very excited to be able to spend some time on Wednesday with Matthias Bifolchi. Matthias was an exchange student at Dexter my senior year and I got to know him pretty well through theater. He now attends Freie Universität and lives in Berlin. I haven't seen him in a year and a half so it was a blast getting to catch up with him and eat Gemüsekebaps in a "non-touristy" area of Berlin.

Alicia, Genesis, and I found an adorable cafe just down the street from our school, so we may be spending a good amount of time there between classes.

One thing I love about Europe is that I do not have classes on Fridays. Therefore, the weekend begins for me at noon on Thursday.

This morning I joined a few friends and we climbed the Berlin TV tower.


This structure towers over Berlin and was built by the Soviets in the 1970s to show off the greatness of the DDR. Today it is one of Berlin's most well-known landmarks, towering 1,207 feet above the city. The view was incredible.


It was a little overcast, but we could still see 25 miles in all directions.


When I reached this view of the city I simply could not stop staring. Dr. Wyneken in my Modern Germany class last year, told us that you could still tell the difference between what used to be Easter Berlin and West Berlin. I never realized how true this statement was until I saw this. This is a view toward the north-eastern part of the city. Looking at this gave me chills, but it makes me realize, again and again, how much Berlin as a city has been through in the past 100 years.

Left to Right: Genesis, Julia, Rachel, Berlin Bear, Meghan, Alicia, Sophia
The Berlin bear is everywhere. We find him in the s-bahn station, the TV tower, sometimes just sitting out in the middle of the city. So, of course we had to get a picture with him.


I thought this movie poster was funny. "Der Hobbit: Eine Unerwartete Reise."


We ended the day at a classy wine place in a very non-touristy area of the city. There was a candlelit seating area with couches and chairs with jazz music playing. It made me feel like I was the wine connoisseur I most definitely am not.

I am loving my time here in Berlin so far. Next weekend, three friends and I are off to Copenhagen, Denmark! There are Viking museums in Copenhagen. Best thing ever.

1 comment:

  1. I like the Berlin Bear photo with your friends. How wonderful to have a nice group to explore with. You are certainly learning much through "experience" and hopefully soon through "hausaufgaben" as well!

    ReplyDelete